Thursday 1 March 2018

Chapter 9

Key Events/Ideas 
  • Atticus is called a "nigger-lover" which angers Scout  
  • Atticus explains why he is defending Tom 
  • Uncle Jack comes to stay and tells Scout off for cussing 
  • Jem and Scout get air-rifles for Christmas 

Key Quotations  
  • "Don’t say nigger Scout. That's common" 
  • "If I didn’t I couldn’t hold up my head in town, I couldn’t represent this country in the legislature, I couldn’t even tell you or Jem not to do something again." 
  • "simply because we were licked 100 years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win" 
  • "I suppose I should include Uncle Jimmy […] but […] I never saw any reason to take notice of him. Neither did Aunt Alexandra" 
  • "Aunty was a good cook" 
  • "perhaps received a Crawford rather than a Finch" 
  • ""you want to grow up to be a lady don't you?" I said not particularly. "of course you do"" 
  • "Jem felt his age and gravitated to the adults" 
  • "he's ruinin' the family" 
  • "when a child asks you something, answer him" 
  • "maycomb's usual disease" 

What is the cause of Scout's outburst at the start of the chapter 
  • Atticus is called a nigger-lover 
  • Scout is getting bullied because of Atticus' job 
Why shouldn't Atticus defend Tom Robinson? 
  • HIs children are getting bullied for it 
  • He will lose 
  • All the white families will see it as a form of betrayal 
  • The Ewells are almost above the law 
Why then does he choose to do so? 
  • Morally upstanding 

No comments:

Post a Comment